Saturday, June 25, 2011

5 Gospels of Travelling !

While people all over travel to India to find themselves, I decided to travel the world instead. I’m not really sure how much of I found myself while trying to achieve my lonely planet fantasy but I’m sure I have reached a place where I can help amateur travellers in ways which no other guide book or travel journal can. So, here are top 5 Gospels for any new traveller on block. Some may agree or disagree with them but the point is to go out and explore them and make your own rules and have lots of fun while doing so.

1.)Getting lost is not such a bad thing
Call it my poor sense of direction or my inability to read maps, but I have been lost in every major city of the world. So much so that it’s a way of life for me and let me tell you, it’s not always that bad. And if I don’t count the racist attack in Kuala Lumpur, then it always have turned out to be pleasant. I never would have discovered the spoils of Oxford Street in London had I not been lost and had I reached the intended destination which was Harrods. And for those who claim that no tourist can ever get lost in London, someone should make them hear the song “Lost in London” by kid British.

2.)Don’t flash to avoid any clash
As someone who has been to more third world countries than first world countries, (Blame the currency exchange rates), let me tell you that being there is a great ego massage but don’t flash too much of skin, cash or your arm candy because you never know which one of those you would end up losing. Now I was fortunate enough to never face any such things but there is always someone who knows someone who has gone through this and you don’t really want to be that someone. So try eating a humble pie and be subtle and save those fantasies of being a Master for your bedroom.

3.)Keep that stranger away
I know when you are on a vacation; you have all these thoughts of rescuing a distraught little Meg Ryan lost in an alien land just like the movie French kiss. First that never happens: Meg Ryan has other high profile suitors of her own and second, if we are really taking inspiration from movies, did you forget “Hostel”? Trust me, that hot chick may not be that naive and who knows if she is a chick entirely? (Now you know why they call it amusing/amazing Thailand). Be really sure before you make your move and always inform someone back home about your whereabouts. And shady old men don’t invite you on their boat just to play chess. Playing chess doesn’t require a yacht that too in the middle of shark infested waters.

4.)Travel agents are just Ignorant unless they are clones of Ian Wright
Travel agents are just glorified clerks who have never been out of the city of their birth leave aside going out of the country. So if you happen to have a lousy travel agent like mine, just take control and guide him in tailoring your itinerary as per your needs. Research and talk to other travellers before you plan yours. Itineraries are just like your tailored suits, if you don’t have them customised to your measurements, they prove to be waste of money.

5.)Tip, tip and tip your way out of almost anything
Nope, I’m not referring to the song made famous by Raveena Tandon in a wet yellow sari back in the 90’s. I’m talking about being a little generous and sharing in with those serving you. After all you are on a vacation and any seasoned travelled out there would actually tell you that tipping is a great service differentiator. And moreover, isn’t it a gentleman code to tip? And in some countries like Egypt and Italy, they take serious offence if you don’t tip. So next time, make sure you “barsao lots of tips” to that bell boy and door man.


Love, love and love !!
Sagar Raha

No comments:

Post a Comment